Saturday 10 September 2011

LIVE MUSIC FROM TOM GRAY OF GOMEZ

Every week, with my two awesome friends audio mover-shaker Wayne and the filmically au fait James, we put together the highly acclaimed The Geekend radio show.

From what was just a miniscule acorn of a brilliant idea, cycle six months later, and we can boast shows and guests that honestly make me need to pinch myself to make sure I'm not stuck in some Matrix style machine-dream (check out the list further down this post).

But this week's show was one of my most enjoyable. To celebrate The Persuaders! 40th anniversary, I got to interview Brian Clemens, the fine fellow writer/producer of it (and a right royal British shed load more). But we were also very lucky to be graced with the presence of one fifth of Mercury Music Prize winning band Gomez, in the form of Tom Gray. Now, ashamedly I thought I didn't know any of their music. So when his dulcet tones burst out these magical musical poems (Flyaway Katie in particular), well I was most impressed. Post event I popped on to Spotify to discover what a numpty I was as Gomez are a band who you may not think you know, but actually, it's impossible not to recognise Whippin' Piccadilly or Options. I totally retract the pub admission Tom.

I filmed the performances below for your delectation, true Gomez fans. And how I wish my camera hadn't run out of memory filming Flyaway Katie. Anyway, have a Kit Kat break, sit back, and enjoy Tom's vocals, which he is far too modest about...





'OK, give us some examples then, then we might believe you', say you? Well, here you go then, and if you aren't impressed, well...snarf!

• We spoke to Oscar winning Visual effects supervisor Paul Franklin of Double Negative, from the set of Dark Knight Rises (also worked on Inception and the Harry Potter films)
• BBC Radio 2 New Comedy Award winner Angela Barnes 
• BAFTA nominated Being Human creator and Doctor Who scriptwriter Toby Whithouse
• Television and film producer Henry Normal (The Trip, Gavin and Stacey, 24 Hour Party People)
• Actor Ray Brooks (Doctor Who, The Avengers, Randall and Hopkirk, Cathy Come Home, Mr Benn)
• Television and film director Ben Wheatley (Kill List, Down Terrace, Ideal)
• Stuntman extraordinnaire; Vic Armstrong (The Indiana Jones trilogy, I Am Legend, various Bond films, Dune, Flash Gordon) and the list goes on and on...
Posted by: Geek Girl Kerensa Creswell-Bryant
Geek Girl, Updated at: 11:14

No comments:

Post a Comment